Tamworth 2012

After Christmas I took a trip to Mt Tamborine in Queensland to visit my younger brother Jack where I spend the New Year high up on the mountain looking down at Surfers Paradise. When I was crossing the border, he rang me up and said: When do you think you'll be here? and I said about 1.00pm and he said, 'No I'll bet you a beer that you'll be here around noon, and I said ok done. Well, I arrived on the mountain at exactly 1.00pm so I said to him: Jack you owe me a beer and he said, No, you owe me a beer because its only 12 noon here, no daylight savings remember !
While I was there I went to visit John Rekers who was the second owner of my 1973 Superbug, he lives at Mermaid Waters (see photo), a very nice man. He showed me all the number plates that he collected from overseas, one from Kuwait and told me that in his younger days he was racing driver and also was one of the first people who bought a 1956 Beetle and then he also bought one of the first Kombi shipped in Australia.


On my way back home as I was travelling along the F3 Freeway, just after the Ourimbah turnoff, I suddenly lost power so I pulled over and with the engine running I looked underneath and I saw all this fuel gushing out from under the engine, I quickly turned the engine off. A highway patrol policeman pulled up behind me and was kind enough to protect me from the traffic while I got under the bus to see where the fuel was leaking. The police officer who happened to own two beetles, a 1969 model and a beach buggy and who also happens to live in Old Toongabbie suggested to check the fuel line going into the carbys and sure enough the pressed-in-brass fitting that is located into the top of the carby (right side) had worked itself loose with the fuel hose clamped on. I was so lucky the hot engine bay area did'nt go up in flames.


That was'nt the only drama I had with the Kombi, last Thursday the 19/1 I travelled up to the Tamworth country music festival where I met again the legendary Chad Morgan, still alive, he's not dead yet! He actually made a movie and called it 'I'm not dead yet' The other photo you see is that of Johanna Hemara, winner of the Frank Ifield award for yodelling, she has a fantastic voice and a great yodeller. The other picture is my Kombi sitting on the back of a towtruck, notice the sign on the rear window: "Home is where I park it"......on the back of a truck !  The story is that on Saturday in the afternoon I went to visit Deon and Tiana whom I met at Sawtell in the caravan park last year, they live at Bendemeer and on the way there the Kombi started to cough and jerk like it was starving from fuel. Anyway I stayed over their place overnight and the next morning Sunday I left at 7.00am and drove about 90kms before it started to cough and jerk again. I called the nrma and could'nt find the fault so he organized a towtruck for me and brought me home 345kms. The next day after work I called the nrma again who again organized a towtruck to take me up to Kombi Rescue at Annangrove and just my luck the truck driver lived in Girraween so I left the Kombi in Steve's workshop and got a lift back home. I found out the problem was with the electronic ignition system, I guess the money I saved in accomodation at Tamworth, I will now be spending on my bus, but that's life when you drive an old aircooled vehicle like that. I can't speak highly enough of the NRMA Road service, it cost me nothing for the tow home and the tow to Annangrove, I'm a gold member and have premium cover, they looked after me like a VIP customer.
Joe Buttigieg